How much copper sulfate should I put in my pool?

If it falls somewhere in the middle of that range, use between 2 and 6 lbs. of copper sulfate, depending on the size of your swimming pool.

In this regard, what does copper sulfate do for a pool?

Copper sulfate is known as bluestone, used as an algaecide for swimming pools. It helps control the growth of algae, keeping your pool free from any type of algae. They are one of the most effective types of algaecide, BUT, they may cause stains if not properly added.

One may also ask, how do you remove copper sulfate from pool water? Metallic algaecide is used to remove black and yellow algae from pools.

  1. Step 1: Test for Copper. Test the pool water using copper test strips.
  2. Step 2: Test for pH and Calcium. Test the pH in the pool.
  3. Step 3: Adjust the Calcium Hardness. Turn on the pump so it is filtering.
  4. Step 4: To Lower the pH.
  5. Step 5: To Raise the pH.

Also asked, what happens when you put copper sulfate in water?

The reaction between anhydrous copper(II) sulfate and water is used as a test for water. The backward reaction is exothermic – energy is transferred to the surroundings when it happens. This is easily observed. When water is added to anhydrous copper sulfate, enough heat is released to make the water bubble and boil.

Can you swim in a pond treated with copper sulfate?

Copper sulfate uses, not safe for swimming. When organisms such as algae become a problem in private or commercial fish ponds, copper sulfate treatment provides an inexpensive solution. However, improper application of copper sulfate can create more problems than it solves.

18 Related Question Answers Found

Does copper kill algae in pools?

Copper ionization is a safe way to clean your pools. It kills viruses and bacteria including black algae, which is a tougher type of algae. Unlike chlorine, copper ionization does not cause skin, hair or eye problems. This means that it will stay in the pool until it has completed its job.

How long does it take for copper algaecide to work?

It depends on which algaecide you use. Most recommend at least 12-24 hours. When regular green algae is treated you can wait 12 hours, for copper-based algaecides you should wait at least 24 hours.

What happens if you touch copper sulfate?

Copper sulfate can cause severe eye irritation. Eating large amounts of copper sulfate can lead to nausea, vomiting, and damage to body tissues, blood cells, the liver, and kidneys. With extreme exposures, shock and death can occur. Diarrhea and vomit may have a green to blue color.

Will copper sulfate kill weeds?

Well…we say…that is because copper sulfate is not the product you use to kill pond weeds. Copper is fantastic for algae but does very little for 95% of any variety of pond weed. Use Catt Plex on weeds that grow above the surface of the water like cattails and water lilies.

How do I get my pool from green to blue?

The goal with using chlorine shock to kill algae is to get your pool to be a cloudy blue color. Blue or white means the algae has been killed. When algae is dead, it turns a gray color. Now, you ‘ll need to run your pump and filter continuously until the water is clear.

Is copper sulfate dangerous to humans?

The lowest dose of copper sulfate that has been toxic when ingested by humans is 11 mg/kg (8). Ingestion of copper sulfate is often not toxic because vomiting is automatically triggered by its irritating effect on the gastrointestinal tract. Copper sulfate can be corrosive to the skin and eyes.

Can you buy copper sulfate?

Stores That Sell Copper Sulfate This product contains solid granules of copper sulfate. Less commonly, you can find copper sulfate granules sold as an algicide for ponds. Ask for an algicide solid or powder and make certain the product is labeled as copper sulfate or copper sulfate pentahydrate.

How do you mix copper sulfate crystals?

The application method we recommend is to dissolve the crystals in hot water and spray actively growing algae. Mix 5lbs of granular copper sulfate with 3 gallons of hot water. Agitate until granular is completely dissolved.

How long does it take for copper sulfate to dissolve in water?

approximately 20 minutes

How long does it take for copper sulfate to kill algae?

After using a copper sulfate algae control product you should notice the algae start to change a brownish or grayish white within about 24 hours. This change in color is the first indication that the copper sulfate is killing the algae. A heavy rainfall will sink the dead algae to the pond floor.

What happens if a drop of water is poured over anhydrous copper sulphate?

When a drop of water is poured over anhydrous Copper Sulphate, the water molecules are absorbed by the sulphate. The anhydrous copper sulphate changes to hydrated copper Sulphate. When a drop of water is poured over anhydrous Copper Sulphate, the water molecules are absorbed by the sulphate.

What are the risks of using copper sulphate?

Health Hazards Copper sulfate is a severe eye irritant and can cause substantial damage to the eyes. If inhaled, the dust can cause respiratory irritation. Copper sulfate should not be ingested. Doing so will cause serious diarrhea and vomiting.

How much liquid chlorine do you need to shock a pool with algae?

It’s a generally accepted notion that 30 ppm of chlorine residual will kill all algae. Assuming that your pool is clean, and you have adjusted the pH, you can now add the granular chlorine to the pool. Most pool shock packages will list directions to add 1 lb. (1 bag) of shock per 10,000 gallons of pool water.

How do you fix a green pool fast?

Run your filter 24 hours a day and backwash 3 or 4 times a day for quickest results. Green or cloudy water will quickly clog a filter, therefore you may have to backwash your filter many times a day until the pool clears. THIS IS NORMAL ! Remember, you cannot over-backwash a pool filter.

Why did my pool turn green after I shocked it?

Cause. Shocking a pool should help clear up a green pool if the water is green because of algae or other issues. However, the pool may turn green after shocking, which is caused by an increased amount of dissolved copper in the water.

Can you use copper sulfate in a swimming pool?

Copper sulfate, otherwise known as bluestone, is sometimes used in swimming pools as an algaecide. By properly assessing the swimming pool’s alkalinity, you can add the appropriate amount of copper sulfate to a swimming pool to control algae growth.

How do I raise the copper level in my pool?

Adding chemicals to your pool Test your copper level after one week of adding the algaecide but before adding any more algaecide doses. You want to wait a week for the algaecide to do its job and kill the algae in the pool. If you have copper levels higher than 0.2 ppm, then add a copper sequestering agent.

Can you shock your pool during the day?

Shock your pool late in the evening or at night, when the sun is down to make sure free chlorine will stay longer in your water. Ultraviolet (UV) rays from direct sunlight greatly reduces free chlorine levels, so shocking during the day will not be very effective.

Leave a Comment